UPDATE: One in custody after hours long standoff

Dodge Center Standoff
Dodge Center Standoff(WPTA)
Published: Nov. 22, 2021 at 1:57 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DODGE CENTER, Minn. (KTTC) – The Dodge County Sheriff’s Office announced on its Facebook that one person is in custody Monday night. Officers were negotiating with a man in his home. The man was believed to have a weapon.

Deputies responded to 512 3rd Avenue NW in Dodge Center just before 11:30 a.m. A man in the home was allegedly threatening to shoot a female if she didn’t leave the residence. The female told a deputy she was trying to get the male to go to St. Mary’s Hospital to be evaluated for mental illness.

At one point the man threatened to shoot the female if she didn’t leave the home, and she says she saw him holding a long gun. That’s when the Sheriff’s Office requested assistance from surrounding agencies, the Triton School District was placed on a soft lockdown, and deputies started going door to door evacuating the neighborhood and securing a 6-block area around the standoff scene.

Dodge Center Standoff Location
Dodge Center Standoff Location(KTTC)

Dodge County requested assistance from the Kasson Police Department, Minnesota State Patrol, Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office, Olmsted/Rochester ERU, and Dodge Center Fire and Ambulance.

At approximately 12:40 p.m. the man walked out his door, threatened officers again, and then walked back inside.

Olmsted/Rochester Emergency Response Unit (ERU) deployed both drone and robot technology in an attempt to get the man to take a cell phone to talk to a negotiator. At approximately 4:30 pm, Judge Jodi Williamson with the Minnesota Judicial Branch signed a search warrant for the home. A complaint warrant for this man had already been issued earlier by Judge Williamson for the felony domestic assault by strangulation, terroristic threats, and 5th-degree MSD assault.

Windows of the home were eventually breached by ERU and at approximately 4:52 p.m. the man surrendered and was taken into custody and transported to St. Mary’s Hospital for evaluation.

Earlier in the day people were asked to avoid the 500 block of 3rd Avenue NW. Officers did not believe the public was in danger but Triton School students were not able to leave school without a parent if they lived in town.

Here is the message sent to parents:

Triton Schools message to parents and guardians
Triton Schools message to parents and guardians(KTTC)

Copyright 2021 KTTC. All rights reserved.