Mason City fires cause injury, damage - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Mason City fires cause injury, damage

Posted: Updated:

MASON CITY, IA (FOX 47) -- A Mason City woman is in critical condition Tuesday afternoon after her robe caught fire while she was cooking.

83-year-old Elaine Person was first taken to Mercy Medical Center before being transferred to the Hennipen County Medical Center.

Authorities say Person was likely attempting to extinguish a cooking fire when her robe caught fire.

Fire also severely damaged a historic house in Mason City yesterday.

The fire in the 1910 home burned for hours.

It was the second-oldest Prairie Style home in Iowa.

An untended candle is being blamed for that fire.

The fire in the 1910 home was reported early Monday and burned for hours.

Mason City Fire Marshal Mark Christiansen says the candle was near the home's rear entry and set some material on fire.

The fire burned off most of the roof and much of the structure was damaged by water.

Prairie Style homes, known for their flat roofs and overhanging eaves, were most common in the Midwest.

The oldest such home in Iowa is the Stockman House, also in Mason City.

Powered by Frankly