UPDATE: Winona diocese releases more details about priest abuse - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Winona diocese releases more details about priest abuse

Posted: Updated:
News Conference / Cathedral of Sacred Heart News Conference / Cathedral of Sacred Heart
WINONA, Minn. (KTTC) -- The Diocese of Winona voluntarily released more details Monday about 13 priests who have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children.

The diocese said it's releasing the information in an effort to be transparent and promote healing. 

"As the bishop of the diocese, I need to gain and continue to show that I am trustworthy and credible in what I say is happening," said Bishop John Quinn. "We need to be transparent and honest in order for people to believe that what we're doing is different and the protection of children is our mission," he added.

The names of the accused priests were revealed in December as part of a court order. But details about the accusations against them weren't released.

Monday morning's news conference at the Cathedral of Sacred Heart shed more light on the names revealed last year. The diocese said nine of the 13 priests on the list are dead and two have been laicized, or removed from the priesthood. Two more priests have laicization pending. The diocese said none of the priests credibly accused of sexual abuse are still in active ministry. 

Nearly all of the sexual abuse committed happened in the 1970s and early 1980s, according to the diocese. The diocese said nearly all of the priests who had sexually abused children were sent for treatment and diagnosis when the diocese learned about the accusations. 

In many of the cases, priests were recommended they could return to their duties. 

"That was a mistake," said Quinn. We've learned from that and there is no one in ministry that has any accusations of pedophilia." The diocese said after knowing more about pedophilia, if someone is credibly accused, second chances cannot be given to ensure the safety of children and young people. 

"What I've learned is how painful the wounds of sexual abuse are. How that is not something that goes away," said Quinn.

The list of priests includes:
Thomas P. Adamson Permanently removed from ministry in 1984; laicized 2009

Sylvester F. Brown Deceased 2010

Joseph C. Cashman Permanently removed from ministry in 1992; laicization pending in Rome

Louis G. Cook Deceased 2004

William D. Curtis Deceased 2001

John R. Feiten Deceased 2001

Richard E. Hatch Deceased 2005

Ferdinand L. Kaiser Deceased 1973

Jack L. Krough Permanently removed from ministry in 2002; laicization pending in Rome

Michael J. Kuisle Deceased 1971

James W. Lennon Deceased 2000

Leland J. Smith Permanently removed from ministry in 1994; laicized April 2014

Robert H. Taylor Deceased 2012

Priests accused of abuse after 2004

Leo Charles Koppala Permanently removed from ministry 2014.

Most Viewed Content

Stories
Videos
  • Mobile Top StoriesMore>>

  • First Neurological Hospitality House in the world to open in Rochester

    First Neurological Hospitality House in the world to open in Rochester

     ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- A one-of-a-kind facility will soon be opening in Rochester -- a Neurological Recovery House led by a group of doctors and professionals.More >>
     ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- A one-of-a-kind facility will soon be opening in Rochester -- a Neurological Recovery House led by a group of doctors and professionals.More >>
  • Rochester man arrested, accused of threatening with boxcutter

    Rochester man arrested, accused of threatening with boxcutter

    Ojak GwerOjak Gwer
    A Rochester man was arrested Wednesday after allegedly threatening another man with a box cutter.  Police say it happened at a gathering of several people on the 42-hundred block of 22nd Avenue Northwest around 5 p.m.More >>
    A Rochester man was arrested Wednesday after allegedly threatening another man with a box cutter.  Police say it happened at a gathering of several people on the 42-hundred block of 22nd Avenue Northwest around 5 p.m.More >>
  • Apache Mall store clerk fights with man suspected of shoplifting

    Apache Mall store clerk fights with man suspected of shoplifting

    Michael VipondMichael Vipond
    ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- A man from Alexandria, Minnesota is facing multiple charges after being arrested for shoplifting at Apache Mall in Rochester around 6:20 last night. Police said Mitchell Vipond, 23, was arrested after allegedly stealing three T-shirts at Champs. Police said Vipond fought with the 23-year-old female store employee and a 49-year-old male security guard. He was wanted on a warrant out of Douglas County and is now also facing a simple robbery charge.More >>
    ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- A man from Alexandria, Minnesota is facing multiple charges after being arrested for shoplifting at Apache Mall in Rochester around 6:20 last night. Police said Mitchell Vipond, 23, was arrested after allegedly stealing three T-shirts at Champs. Police said Vipond fought with the 23-year-old female store employee and a 49-year-old male security guard. He was wanted on a warrant out of Douglas County and is now also facing a simple robbery charge.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.