NEW YORK (AP) - Target Corp. said the Department of Justice is investigating the security breach at the Minneapolis-based retailer that's being called the second largest such incident in U.S. history.
The DOJ declined to comment on whether it's investigating Target, the nation's second largest discounter.
Target also said that it's teaming up with the U.S. Secret Service in its own investigation. Target said the Secret Service has asked the company not to share many of the details of the probe.
Additionally, Target said that it held a conference call with the state attorneys general on Monday.
The investigations and the call come after Target said earlier that data connected to about 40 million credit and debit card accounts was stolen as part of a breach that began over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.