ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- Officials say a fire that destroyed a garage and burned through the attic of a home in southwest Rochester over the weekend did $250,000 dollars worth of damage.
The call came in just before 8 p.m. Saturday, when a neighbor noticed flames coming from the garage of a house on the 2500 block of Elmcroft Drive Southwest.
Officials say the fire started when the valve on a propane tank became loose, spilling propane onto a nearby electric heater. Firefighters say the garage was filled with propane tanks, which complicated putting out the fire. The blaze eventually took 8 fire companies four hours to put out the fire.
Officials say the fire quickly spread, engulfing the garage in flames and extending into the attic of the home. The home itself did not catch fire, however it was heavily damaged. Investigators say the displaced family is staying with relatives
Investigators estimate that $250,000 worth of damage was done to the property, as the garage and its contents were destroyed.
The displaced family is staying with relatives.
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.