MARQUETTE, Mich. (AP) - The take in the first Upper Peninsula wolf hunt in four decades remains at 20, as frigid weather continues to keep the killing down.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources says that's the total as of 6 a.m. Sunday. The department has expressed doubt that the hunt will reach its quota of 43 by year's end.
The season opened in three sections of the U.P. on Nov. 15.
The DNR says the take so far is 12 in central counties of upper Michigan, five wolves in the far western U.P. and three in the eastern U.P. Eleven of the wolves killed were females.
Before the season, the DNR estimated that Michigan had 658 wolves.
Michigan wolf hunt: http://www.michigan.gov/wolves
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.