Senators grapple with health care rollout woes - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Senators grapple with health care rollout woes

Posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) - A senior government official declined to say Tuesday if the administration will support legislation to fulfill President Barack Obama's oft-stated promise that anyone who likes their health care plan will be able to keep it under the nation's new law.

Appearing before a Senate committee, Marilyn Tavenner, head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, also said the government's health care web site has improved since its widely panned launch a month ago, and is still improving.

"Users can now successfully create an account and continue through the full application and enrollment process," she said. We are now able to process nearly 17,000 registrants per hour, or 5 per second, with almost no errors."

Republicans on the Senate Health, Education Labor and Pensions Committee emphasized their longstanding criticism of the law, citing examples of cancellations and increased costs while raising questions about cyber-security for healthcare.gov.

One, Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, asked if the administration would support legislation introduced in the Senate to allow individuals to retain their existing coverage if they want to. He recalled Obama's pledge to that effect, first made in 2009.

In response, Tavenner said she hadn't read the legislation, and took no position on it.

Similarly, White House officials declined comment on Tuesday on similar bills introduced in both houses by other lawmakers.

Committee Democrats were generally less pointed, although Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland cited consumer confusion.

"I think it's very confusing about where you go," she said. "I can tell you, people really don't know, they really, really don't know."

Tavenner, who last week apologized to the public for the poor quality of the website in its earliest days, invited the public to go online for themselves to see how it was now functioning.

"We are seeing improvements each week, and by the end of November, the experience on the site will be smooth for the vast majority of users," she said.

Tavenner said the site would be "fully functioning" by the end of the month.

She appeared at a time when Democrats remain uneasy about the implementation of a program they created over unanimous Republican opposition in 2010.

The website went down again in the middle of the day Monday for about 90 minutes. And the administration still refuses to divulge enrollment statistics until mid-November.

Tavenner began her career as a nurse and built a successful record as a hospital executive before entering public service. Seen as a businesslike manager, she has enjoyed support from lawmakers across the political spectrum.

HealthCare.gov was supposed to provide one-stop shopping for people who don't have a health plan on the job. Its target audience is not only uninsured Americans but those who already purchase coverage individually. Middle-class people can sign up for private coverage made more affordable by tax credits that act like a discount on premiums. Lower-income people will be steered to an expanded version of Medicaid in states that agreed to expand that safety net program.

A new study released Tuesday estimates the potential size of the market nationally at 28.6 million people. The nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation says three out of five, or more than 17 million people, will be eligible for tax credits. That includes both uninsured people and those switching over from current individual plans. Texas, California and Florida have the highest numbers of residents eligible for the credits.

Earlier, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that 7 million uninsured people would gain coverage through the marketplaces, a statistic the Obama administration adopted as its own enrollment target.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Man accused of stabbing wife 30 times in front of children

    Man accused of stabbing wife 30 times in front of children

    Authorities say a Brooklyn Park woman is in a medically induced coma after she was repeatedly stabbed by her husband in front of their children. The Star Tribune reports that 34-year-old Jethro Gboeah was charged Friday with felony first-degree assault and violating a no contact order in connection with the attack. Police say the children told police they watched their father enter the apartment building, strangle their mother, and say he would kill her before repeatedly stabbing her...More >>
    Authorities say a Brooklyn Park woman is in a medically induced coma after she was repeatedly stabbed by her husband in front of their children. The Star Tribune reports that 34-year-old Jethro Gboeah was charged Friday with felony first-degree assault and violating a no contact order in connection with the attack. Police say the children told police they watched their father enter the apartment building, strangle their mother, and say he would kill her before repeatedly stabbing her...More >>
  • UPDATE: Names released in deadly accident on Highway 52

    UPDATE: Names released in deadly accident on Highway 52

    The one-vehicle accident happened just before 5 Friday morning just North of Zumbrota, near 165th Avenue in the southbound lanes.

    More >>

    The one-vehicle accident happened just before 5 Friday morning just North of Zumbrota, near 165th Avenue in the southbound lanes.

    More >>
  • Rushford-Peterson district celebrates grand opening of new school

    Rushford-Peterson district celebrates grand opening of new school

    Ten years after Rushford's old school was damaged in the 2007 flood, the community celebrated the grand opening of a new one. On Saturday morning, the public got to tour Rushford-Peterson Schools' new 170,000 square-foot facility, which will be home to early education through 12th-grade students.

    More >>

    Ten years after Rushford's old school was damaged in the 2007 flood, the community celebrated the grand opening of a new one. On Saturday morning, the public got to tour Rushford-Peterson Schools' new 170,000 square-foot facility, which will be home to early education through 12th-grade students.

    More >>
  • Woman's body found inside camper at Whippoorwill Kampground

    Woman's body found inside camper at Whippoorwill Kampground

    The body of a woman was found in a camper at Whippoorwill Kampground just before 5 p.m. Saturday. 

    More >>

    The body of a woman was found in a camper at Whippoorwill Kampground just before 5 p.m. Saturday. 

    More >>
  • Oronoco Gold Rush Days drawing people from around the country

    Oronoco Gold Rush Days drawing people from around the country

    Hundreds of vendors and visitors were back in Oronoco Saturday for its 45th annual Gold Rush Days. The free antique show features 300 vendors selling furniture, decor, toys and more. And if you missed it Saturday, the show will resume Sunday morning.

    More >>

    Hundreds of vendors and visitors were back in Oronoco Saturday for its 45th annual Gold Rush Days. The free antique show features 300 vendors selling furniture, decor, toys and more. And if you missed it Saturday, the show will resume Sunday morning.

    More >>
  • Mayo announces new business arrangement with Medica, around 200 jobs to be impacted

    Mayo announces new business arrangement with Medica, around 200 jobs to be impacted

    According to a news release, posted on Mayo's internal-web Thursday, Mayo Clinic announced a new business arrangement with Medica.

    More >>

    According to a news release, posted on Mayo's internal-web Thursday, Mayo Clinic announced a new business arrangement with Medica.

    More >>
  • Homes in St. Paul area evacuated because of pipe bomb scare

    Homes in St. Paul area evacuated because of pipe bomb scare

    Several homes in a St. Paul neighborhood were evacuated after police said they found a potential explosive device in a vehicle. The incident happened early Saturday morning in the Payne-Phalen area on the city's east side. Police received a call just before 5 a.m. that a woman had been threatened with a handgun. The suspects escaped in a vehicle by the time officers arrived. Police spokesman Steve Linders says police located the vehicle and arrested two men who were inside. Police f...More >>
    Several homes in a St. Paul neighborhood were evacuated after police said they found a potential explosive device in a vehicle. The incident happened early Saturday morning in the Payne-Phalen area on the city's east side. Police received a call just before 5 a.m. that a woman had been threatened with a handgun. The suspects escaped in a vehicle by the time officers arrived. Police spokesman Steve Linders says police located the vehicle and arrested two men who were inside. Police f...More >>
  • Flood victim's family remembers him 10 years later

    Flood victim's family remembers him 10 years later

    Jerry Lorenz, 37, was one of seven flash flood victims in August 2007.Jerry Lorenz, 37, was one of seven flash flood victims in August 2007.
    Seven people died the weekend of August 18th, 2007 in what is considered one of the worst flash floods in Minnesota history.  Jerry Lorenz, John and Shirley Micheel, Joyce and Victor Gensmer, David Ask, and David Blackburn were the seven victims. One decade later, the victim's families still remember the night they received the devastating news.   "I got a phone call from a family member saying to come quick, we can't find Jerry but we found his car. The tears s...More >>
    Seven people died the weekend of August 18th, 2007 in what is considered one of the worst flash floods in Minnesota history.  Jerry Lorenz, John and Shirley Micheel, Joyce and Victor Gensmer, David Ask, and David Blackburn were the seven victims. One decade later, the victim's families still remember the night they received the devastating news.   "I got a phone call from a family member saying to come quick, we can't find Jerry but we found his car. The tears s...More >>
Powered by Frankly