ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- Twelve youngsters and six adults had to scramble for a place to stay overnight after a basement fire in northwest Rochester.
It happened on the 2100 block of 20th Street Northwest just before 9 p.m. Thursday.
The Rochester Fire Department says the owners of the home were out of the country at the time. But their daughter, her husband and 16 other people were inside when the fire started.
Investigators believe the fire started in a wood fireplace that had been converted to gas. Crews say the flames traveled up the wall.
"Still looking into it. Not sure if there may have been a problem with the plumbing or the gas furnace or the gas fireplace, or if there was an electrical fault in that area. I'm still looking around kind of trying to figure that out," said Mike Bjoraker, Assistant Fire Marshal.
The fire caused $100,000 worth of damage, with about $30,000 of that being the contents of the home.
There were 12 children and 6 adults staying at the home Thursday night. The visitors were in Rochester for a youth rally.
The Red Cross is helping with temporary shelter.
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.