UPDATE: Fire officials believe faulty extension cord causes fire - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Fire officials believe faulty extension cord may have caused NE Rochester house fire

Posted: Updated:

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- Investigators now believe a faulty extension cord may be to blame for a major house fire early Saturday morning in northeast Rochester.

The blaze broke out at about 2:30 a.m. on the 1200 block of 2nd Street Northeast.

KTTC's Mike Sullivan reports from the scene that a newspaper delivery man coming down the street after 4 a.m. went in a back door and yelled to awaken the people inside and get them out alive.

Deputy Fire Chief Steven Belau said when firefighters from Engine Two arrived they found the two outside; they had been asleep on the first floor of the home at 1222 2nd St. NE.  A neighbor tells KTTC NewsCenter that Ilene Haukom and her son Philip have lived there for many years.

The fire was knocked down quickly, but Belau said it took the crew from the Silver Lake Fire Station another two hours to get at all the burning embers in the sheathing of the roof.  Damage is estimated at more between $50,000 to $70,000.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.