Pressure valve cause of anhydrous ammonia leak in Byron - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Pressure valve cause of anhydrous ammonia leak in Byron

Posted:

BYRON, Minn. (KTTC)-According to Byron's Fire Department, a pressure valve was the cause of a non-threatening anhydrous ammonia leak at Greenway Co-op in Byron.  Olmsted County Deputies and Byron's Fire Department responded to several reports of a "smoke" or "gas-like" smell in the area after 8 p.m.

"Two people walking by smelled it and one person in a car smelt it," said Matt Grant, Byron Fire Department Captain.  "The deputies were on scene right away to block it. Once we got here, we sent guys in on air packs to find the leaking tank due to humidity."

Firefighters and Greenway employees investigated the smell and found a pressure valve on one tank had released some gas.  According to the Fire Department, this is what the valve was designed to do in extreme heat or humidity.  There was no immediate danger in the area and crews left the scene after 9 p.m. 

Powered by Frankly