ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- A lightning strike during Thursday afternoon's storm caused a small fire in one family's basement.
Rochester firefighters say it happened just after 3 p.m. on the 1900 block of Hart Drive SW.
The homeowners told fire officials that they heard a loud strike and then smelled smoke.
Officials say the homeowners were able to put the fire out with an extinguisher.
However, firefighters say the strike ruptured a corrugated gas line, causing elevated gas levels throughout the house. The fire also caused damage to electrical circuits and left smoke damage in the basement.
The family was able to re-occupy their home Thursday night.
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2013 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.