Unattended grill ignites Rochester family's house - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Unattended grill ignites Rochester family's house

Posted:

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- This weekend's nice summer weather had a lot of people outside grilling, but one Rochester family learned first hand the dangers of an unattended grill.

Rochester firefighters say they were called to the 600 block of 33rd Street Lane northwest at about 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

The family tells firefighters they had ignited the grill and went inside to prep the food while it warmed up.

The next thing they knew, their neighbor was screaming that their house was on fire.

The grill had ignited the vinyl siding on the backside of their home.

Within minutes, officials say the fire had spread across the rear of the home, and ended up causing more than $25-thousand dollars in damages.

No one was injured in the fire.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.