Stand-off closes North Broadway Avenue - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Stand-off closes North Broadway Avenue

Posted: Updated:

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- A stand-off that lasted for more than four hour lead to Rochester Police closing North Broadway Avenue between Seventh Street and 14th Street Wednesday.

Police responded to the 900 block of North Broadway around 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Captain John Sherwin of the Rochester Police Department says they were dispatched to a "psychological type problem" where the individual was believed to have several weapons, threatening suicide and the police.

Along with the Rochester Police Department the Emergency Response Unit and Crisis Negotiation Unit responded to the scene. A command post was set up. 

Residents of a nearby apartment building were evacuated before 7 p.m.

"They had escorted us down and we had to wait in a police car and before you knew it everything was blocked off and they were going in," said Gloria Amous, a resident of a nearby apartment building on the 900 block of North Broadway.

Just after 9:00 p.m. a swat team was stationed outside a residence just north of 9th Street Northwest on North Broadway. Authorities were armed and preparing enter the house.

Around 9:30 p.m. there was a loud boom and shouting from authorities. According to Sherwin many tactics were used to try to remove the individual, but after hours at the standoff police made a decision.

Captain Sherwin says, "We're going to try and use all of those techniques to try and resolve an incident successfully"

Sherwin also says the man was suffering psychological issues. "This is someone who was experiencing their own crisis. This wasn't someone committing an act of violence or a crime of that nature."

According to Sherwin the man was cooperative once authorities gained access to the apartment where he was held up.

He was evaluated on scene by medics and transported by gold cross to Saint Marys Hospital.

Sherwin says, "Given the surrounding area we took all the precautions necessary."

Authorities confirm the man was armed, but they are not releasing information as to what type of weapons were involved or how many.

By 10:00 p.m. authorities had taken down barricades and were allowing traffic through the area.

Powered by Frankly