Middle school student's phone battery explodes - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Middle school student's phone battery explodes

Posted:

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) - A middle school student's cell phone battery exploded and caught fire Wednesday morning at Kellogg Middle School in Rochester.

The explosion burned a hole in the student's pocket, burned the student's leg, and left a burn mark on the hall floor.

Students in the classroom where the event occurred were moved to a different classroom during the event, and were returned to the classroom when the incident was resolved.

School officials opened windows in the classroom to vent the smoke and odors, however, officials say a burned odor lingered throughout the building.

Mayo Clinic has advised parents to closely monitor their child for after effects. Because of the burning sulfur, students who report a burning sensation in their throat should see a medical doctor.

School officials say the injured student is doing well.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.