ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Former U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman says he won't seek a rematch with Sen. Al Franken in 2014.
Coleman confirmed his decision to pass up a re-run Wednesday after it was first reported in the National Journal. Coleman told The Associated Press that he wasn't ruling a bid for Minnesota governor "in or out," but signaled that a decision was a ways off.
He lost to Democrat Franken by a few hundred votes in 2008, in a race that prompted a statewide recount and an ensuing court challenge that delayed Franken's seating until months after the election.
Coleman says he thinks a strong Republican candidate will emerge against Franken. He suggested U.S. Reps. Erik Paulsen or John Kline.
Coleman previously ran for governor in 1998 but lost to Jesse Ventura.
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at email@example.com.