UPDATE: Unattended candles cause Mpls. condo building fire - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

UPDATE: Unattended candles cause Mpls. condo building fire

Posted:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Investigators say unattended candles caused a Minneapolis condo building fire that sent one person to the hospital.

The Minneapolis Fire Department says the candles were in a first-floor condo. The cause of the three-alarm fire in the Uptown neighborhood was ruled accidental.

The eight-unit, three-story building caught fire about 8:10 a.m. Friday and caused traffic problems during rush hour in the busy commercial and residential district.

Minneapolis Fire Marshal Perry Ebner says one person was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation. A hospital spokeswoman says the 70-year-old resident was in satisfactory condition at HCMC.

Ben Garber moved into the building about a month ago. The 32-year-old tells the Star Tribune (http://bit.ly/YTKdnC) the fire happened quickly and he didn't have much time to get out.

The building is being demolished.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.