LE ROY, Minn. (KTTC) -- A do it yourself wood stove installation ended in a fire that destroyed a home in Le Roy.
The Mower County Sheriff's Office said Jay Hardecopf woke up to the smell of smoke in his home on 314 East Main Street at about 6 a.m. Thursday.
Hardecopf tried to extinguish the flames himself but the fire grew too quickly and he called 911. Firefighters responded but it was too late to save the house.
The Mower County Sheriff's Office said the chimney venting was not properly installed or fire proof.
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2013 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.