Fire at Olympik Village does $1,500 in damage - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Authorities: Stove fire at Rochester apartments could've been much worse

Updated:

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC) -- A stove fire at the Olympik Village apartment complex in Rochester caused $1,500 in damage but could have been much worse, authorities said.

At 1:17 a.m. Monday, there was heavy smoke spreading throughout the halls, coming from apartment 325 at 401 31st St. NE.

The tenant was able to extinguish the fire that started from a pan of oil left on the stove by accident. The smoke detector in the apartment did not go off and the tenant was awakened by the sound of the crackling fire.

Firefighters were called and cleaned out smoke damage to the ventilation hood.

Authorities said it could have been a major fire that easily raced through the complex. 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2001 - 2014 WorldNow and KTTC, a Quincy station.
All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.

Persons with disabilities who need assistance with issues relating to the content of this station's public inspection file should contact Administrative Assistant Jodi Neyens at (507) 280-5104. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, at 888-835-5322 (TTY) or at fccinfo@fcc.gov.