Couple sleeping while fire in home began - KTTC Rochester, Austin, Mason City News, Weather and Sports

Couple sleeping while fire in home began

ROCHESTER, Minn. (KTTC-DT) -- At 9:20 Thursday morning the Rochester Fire Department got a 911 call that a room in a mobile home at The Oak Terrace Estates was on fire.

"En route we had an update from neighbors saying there was fire coming from the roof," says Deputy Chief Tim Bangert with the Rochester Fire Department.

Olivoria Coria-Avalos and his wife, Lucilia Rivera, were home when the fire started.

"They were sleeping and awoken by smoke. They did not have a smoke detector in their home. The wife was the one who woke up to the fire situation and woke up her husband,"says Bangert.

The couple made it out alive but Coria-Avalos was transported to Saint Marys Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and was later released.

Bangert says the home was destroyed along with all the contents inside even though the fire was quickly contained.

"We had the fire knocked down approximately ten minutes after our arrival on scene," says Bangert

He says it took another 2 1/2 hours to completely extinguish the fire.

The Rochester Fire Marshal's Office has ruled the fire accidental as a result of an electrical short circuit in a wall outlet.

The family's two teenage children were at school when the fire erupted.

The American Red Cross is helping the family.

Powered by Frankly